Development process of the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
Ministry of Culture and Art
In 1851Ministry of Science was established. After a while, the name of this ministry was changed to Ministry of Science and Education and then in 1887 it was renamed as Ministry of Education, Endowment and Fine Industries. This ministry was responsible for education, culture and art, science and higher education and endowment.
In 1921 the High Council Education was set up aimed at expansion of science departments and promotion of science and technology and elimination of problems and shortcomings in scientific and technological studies.
In 1937 based on a ruling issued by country's Academy, the world Education was replaced by Culture and Ministry of Education, Endowment and Fine Industries was renamed as Ministry of Culture.
Then on January 22, 1940 the Fine Arts Department was renamed as General Directorate of Fine Arts as part of Ministry of Culture.
In 1961 the General Directorate of Fine Arts became under the jurisdiction of Prime Ministers Office aimed at further promotion of art and artistic works and encouragement of artists and reinvigoration of country's national arts.
In 1964 Ministry of Culture and Art was formed and based on the pertaining law the General Directorate of Fine Arts, General Directorate of Archaeology, National Library, Department of Cultural Attaches and Department of Authorship and Translation were detached from Ministry of Culture and attached to Ministry of Culture and Art.
In 1965 the task of establishment of public libraries all across the country was bestowed to Ministry of Culture and Art.
In July 1967 the High Council of Culture and Art was established.
In March 7, 1978 based on legislation passed by the Council of the Islamic Revolution, the Ministry of Culture and Higher Education was formed by integration of two ministries of Culture and Art and Science and Higher Education.
In 1980 the following departments were detached from Ministry of Culture and Art and integrated to Ministry of Culture and Islamic guidance:
- Contemporary Arts Museum
- Azadi Museum
- Bagh Ferdos Complex
- General Directorate of Artistic Activities
- Nobaha Cultural Center (except Pottery and Glassware Museum)
- Authorship and Translation Department
- General Directorate of Film, still pictures and Slide Production
- General Directorate of Audio- Visual Co operations
- General Directorate of Supervision and Film Screening
- General Directorate of Research and Cinematic Relations
- Iranian Center of Music Loving youth
- Tehran Symphonic Orchestra
- City Theater affiliated to Ministry of Culture and Higher Education
- Roodaki Concert Hall affiliated to Ministry of Culture and Higher Education
- Sangalaj Theater Hall affiliated to Ministry of Culture and Higher Education
B – Ministry of Information and Tourism
On July 2, 1943 the General Directorate of Publication and Publicity was formed for publicity within the country and abroad. The mission of this department was to be carried out through radio broadcasting, publications, theater, cinema and Music.
On March 17, 1963, in order to introduce Iranian culture and lead the public opinion and centralization of all publicity and publication works and based on a legislation passed by the National Consultative Assembly, the General Directorate of Publicity and Publication was renamed as the Ministry of Information and all the authorities of the General Directorate of Publication and Radio were transferred to the newly established ministry.
In 1965 the Tourism Organization was formed under the direct supervision of the Prime Minister.
In July 1967 the Iranian National Television Organization affiliated to Ministry of Information was formed.
On June 13, 1971 the Iranian National Television Organization was dissolved and Iranian Radio and Television Organization affiliated to Ministry of Information took its place.
In 1974, the Tourism Organization became affiliated to Ministry of Information and Ministry of Information and Tourism was formed.
Organizations affiliated to the Ministry of Information and Tourism were as follows:
A) Iranian Radio and Television Organization
B) The joint stock Printing Company of Ministry of Culture and Tourism
C) Pars News Agency Organization
D) Tourism and Information College
E) Joint stock Tours Company
F) Joint stock Tourism Facilities Company
G) Joint stock Iranian Houses Company
H) Tourism Centers for Winter Sports Company
In 1980 base on Article 175 of the newly compiled Constitution, Iranian National Radio and television was put under supervision of the three branches of government.
On April 1980 based on the legislation of Council of Islamic Revolution, the joint stock Tour Company, joint stock Tourism Facilities Company, joint stock Iranian Houses Company and Tourism Centers for Winter Sports Company were integrated together and Iran and World Tourism Organization affiliated to Ministry of Information and Publicity (Tourism) was established.
In May 28, 1980 Ministry of Information and Tourism was renamed as Ministry of National Guidance.
In October 28, 1980 the Tourism Services College was integrated to Ministry of Culture and Higher Education.
In January 5, 1980 Hajj and Pilgrimage Affairs was detached from Prime Minister's Office and integrated to Ministry Of Islamic Guidance and renamed as Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization.
In 1981Ministry of National Guidance was renamed as Ministry of Islamic Guidance (Mr. Dozdozani was appointed as the Minister).
In 1984, Endowment Organization became detached from the Prime Minister's Office and integrated to Hajj and Pilgrim Organization and a new entity named Hajj, Endowment and Charity Affairs was established and became a part of Ministry of Islamic Guidance.
In 1985 the provincial Cultural Heritage Protection Departments, General Directorate of Museum, General Directorate of Palaces, General Directorate of Historical Monuments were detached from Ministry of Islamic Guidance and integrated to Cultural Heritage Organization affiliated to ministry of Culture and Higher Education.
In March 2, 1986 based on a legislation passed by the Parliament, Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance was established.
Affiliated organizations of this ministry are as follows:
- Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA)
- Hajj, Endowment and Charity Affairs Organization
- Iran and World Tourism Centers Organization
- Printing and Publication Organization of Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
- Center for Cultural Documents of Islamic Revolution
In November 6, 1991base on a ruling by the High Council of Administration, the hajj, Endowment and Charity Affairs Organization was divided into two separate organization named "Hajj and Pilgrimage" and Endowment and "Charity Affairs".
In July 21, 1995 based on a ruling by high Council of Administration, the International Department of Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance was dissolved and its tasks were transferred to Culture and Islamic Communication Organization.
In June 1999 based on the ruling of High Council of Administration, tasks of the Tourism and Pilgrimage Department of Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance were transferred to Iran and World Tourism Organization.
In November 20, 1999 based on a ruling by the High Council of Administration the tasks of the Center of Cultural Documents of the Islamic Revolution were transferred to Iran's National Library.
In June 7, 2000 base on study aimed at restructuring the departments of the Headquarters of the Ministry and ruling by the State High Council of Administration and Employment a new deputy was established in the ministry named Project and Planning and Administration Development.
In 2004 the final chart of the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance was drown up consisting of 6 deputyship, 4 specialized and 2 logistical deputies, was approved by the Management and Planning Organization and notified for implementation.